Circular Economy & Local Governments: Sustainable Resource Management to Mitigate Climate Change
26 Oct 2021
This session, organised by ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability, ACR+ and HESAM University, will focus on understanding why we have to shift from a linear to a circular economic model if we are to tackle climate change effectively, and the variety of levers available to local and regional governments to bring about this transition.
Participants will learn about three European initiatives geared towards supporting sub-national governments on this journey: the European Circular Cities Declaration, the More Circularity, Less Carbon campaign and the COLOR CIRCLE project. A panel discussion with cities and regions involved in these initiatives will review the measures they have taken, the challenges they have faced and the results they have achieved, to provide inspiration for other local and regional governments across the world.
The session is an official EU-side event of COP26, and will take place completely online at 13:00-14:00 Glasgow time | 14:00-15:00 CET Brussels time on Saturday, 6 November 2021. You can register here.
- Arno Bonte - Vice-Mayor for Sustainability, Clean Air and Energy Transition, City of Rotterdam
Vice-Mayor Arno Bonte will present the European Circular Cities Declaration. As a signatory of the Declaration, Rotterdam is committed to supporting the circular transition.Sr
- Iain Gulland - CEO Zero Waste Scotland & ACR+ president
Mr. Gulland will give an overview of the More Circularity, Less Carbon campaign
- Stéphanie Modde - VP for Ecological Transition: Energy, Biodiversity, Food, Circular Economy & Water, Burgundy-Franche-Comté Region
Ms. Modde will present the aims and objectives of the Color Circle Interreg Project
Following the three presentations, there will be a panel discussion between city and region representatives on 'Circular economy for Climate mitigation'. Vice Mayor Arno Bonte will be one of the panellists. He will be joined by:
- Niina Ruuska - Circular Turku Programme Manager, Climate and Environment Unit, City of Turku
- Francesco Lembo - Managing Director ACR+
- Emanuela Manca - Environmental Sustainability, Strategic Evaluation and Information Systems Department at the Environmental Protection Directorate, Autonomous Region of Sardinia
The event can be accessed via the following link.